iCloud Drive browse

Questions, glitches, bugs and crashes
piratx

iCloud Drive browse

Post by piratx » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:56 pm

Hello,

I am using Nimble Commander for a year now and I totally love it. I don't think there's something Finder has to go back :)

The only problem I would like to fix is the iCloud Drive browsing. iCloud Drive knows when to download most needed files from the Drive to my mac and when files inside the Drive don't need to be locally (files we don't use daily for example). Having this feature, Nimble see the files that are in the cloud with a . in front of each name. Example: photos.pdf (is local) and .photos.pdf.icloud (is in the cloud).

So, when I need a file that it's not locally I need to right click on that file and show in Finder so I can click the download from the cloud button and then use it.

Is there any tip that I must know abou that?

Thanks in advance

mike

Re: iCloud Drive browse

Post by mike » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:52 pm

Hi,

AFAIK Apple doesn't provide any official API for the iCloud Drive storage.
This means that a decent abiding app can access it only via e.g. system-defined Open/Save dialogs.

Not sure what could be done here, apart from writing a petition which Apple will ignore.

Mike.

piratx

Post by piratx » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:59 pm

Thank you for your answer Mike!

I was thinking something simple to be exact. Something that wouldn’t need Finder to be launched.

Maybe just make it download after you call it. Nimble should know that open this .icloud files mean download. :/

mike

Post by mike » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:42 am

Such hack would be incredibly brittle and could break after any minor macOS update.
So, sorry, but no.

OTOH it might be possible to construct something with an external tool and a hotkey to execute it.

piratx

Post by piratx » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:34 am

Thanks Mike!

Of course I understand. I found this little tool https://github.com/farnots/iCloudDownloader. So if anyone trying to download files throught Nimble Commander he can find this thread. :roll: