Bug in zip archive [FIXED]

Questions, glitches, bugs and crashes
Post Reply
xmaster
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:54 pm

Bug in zip archive [FIXED]

Post by xmaster » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:58 pm

I found bug in Nimble Commander in last version: during working with zip archive created from Google Drive (download in folder menu) - it sometimes doesn't show the filenames inside archive.
Firstly I thought, it was a bad archive, but the same happens time and again. So finally I've checked the archive with Dr. Unarchiver - and voila - all is correct.

Sometimes all files are missed sometimes only few of them or few folders. Doesn't depend on the size of the archive. Noticed that only with ZIP created from Google Drive.

Will appreciate if it will be fixed in next version.

http://joxi.ru/12MvBQcMKMLBAJ

xmaster
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:54 pm

Re: Bug in zip archive

Post by xmaster » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:44 pm

Still no answer. I use Nimble Commander for all my archives, but now I risk because I don't know if all files were seen/unarchived or some were missing because of NC.
That's a big annoyance.
Is still any possibility to fix this bug in future version?

User avatar
mike
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:35 am
Location: Barnaul, Russia

Re: Bug in zip archive

Post by mike » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:02 pm

Sorry for the long response.

I've taken a look at the issue.
GDrive does something unexpected with filename encodings when composing .zip files.
I was able to reproduce the issue when there are non-latin characters in filenames inside the archive.
What happens now is that NC discardes such archives since the underlying libarchive can't process these filenames.
I'll see what can be done here to fix the issue.

What is interesting:

Code: Select all

Michaels-Mac-mini:!Archives migun$ unzip invalid_archive.zip 
Archive:  invalid_archive.zip
error:  cannot create ++.docx
        Illegal byte sequence
error:  cannot create .doc
        Illegal byte sequence
error:  cannot create .doc.docx
        Illegal byte sequence
I.e. the "official" UnZip doesn't recognize these archives as valid either.

xmaster
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:54 pm

Re: Bug in zip archive

Post by xmaster » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:55 pm

I have rechecked the problem, and it's definitely not because of non-latin filenames. Cause I have lots of zip-archives with russian-named files and everything is ok.

The problem persists when archive is created automatically by google drive (with "download the folder" option) no matter the characters inside zip. I have lots of such archives cause was moving form GD to another cloud service, so lots of my folders archived in this way.
Last edited by xmaster on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xmaster
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:54 pm

Re: Bug in zip archive

Post by xmaster » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:07 pm

xmaster wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:55 pm
I have rechecked the problem, and it's definitely not because of non-latin filenames. Cause I have lots of zip-archives with russian-named files and everything is ok.

The problem persists when archive is created automatically by google drive (with "download the folder" option) no matter the characters inside zip. I have lots of such archives cause was moving form GD to another cloud service, so lots of my folders archived in this way.
Yep, tested it once again. Really, if GD creates archive with rus names inside, then archive is showed without all of the files inside (some are missing, not only in non-latin characters). But other archive programs (3-4 tested, including Commander One) shows all files.

User avatar
mike
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:35 am
Location: Barnaul, Russia

Re: Bug in zip archive

Post by mike » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:49 am

Ok, I've fixed the issue.
Will publish a preview build soon.

Post Reply