Version 1.2.0 released

New version releases, other news
mike

Re: Version 1.2.0 released

Post by mike » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:24 am

moonrak wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:34 am
You did it, Classic Mode is out, Dark Mode is in.
Time to leave the yearnings about Tree Gold times with blue background.
The Dark Force is calling me now.
bd1.jpg
bd1.jpg (83.55 KiB) Viewed 34596 times
Sorry for offtopic :)

On topic - I use both Classic and Dark mode.
I personally found that dark tones are more suitable for laptops, while bright gray gamma is better for big screens.
So on my MacBookPro UI is Dark and on MacMini+external display UI is classic Aqua.
dvz wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:05 pm
It seems that it is time to change my habits
I think, that if you find a way to provide ability to change scrollbar colors or make them transparent, than it will be a good feature.
Light scrollbars on dark background are very annoying.
But they are shown only when actual scrolling happens, right?
Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 14.16.41.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 14.16.41.png (67.79 KiB) Viewed 34596 times
Oh, I've just realized that, for some reason, when scrollbars are always shown, they use Aqua appearance regardless. That is strange.

mike

Post by mike » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:53 am

Ok, after digging this stuff once again, here's the situation:
- Default setting for scrollbars in macOS is the "Automatically based on mouse or trackpad".
- If this machine has a trackpad, system sets the "Overlay" scrollbar style.
In this case, everything works fine - scrollbars are transparent and appear only when the content is scrolled.
- If classic mouse is used or if system setting is set to "Always" - macOS falls back to the "Classic" scrollbar style.
Here the nasty stuff begins - scrollbars with "Classic" style are drawn on a non-transpared background which is filled with some non-customizable color.

The problem here is that substitution of scrollbars with some own-written code is terribly obscure and with no doubts it will lead into numerous issues later.

What can I do is to enforce scrollers to be "Overlay" regardless the system setting and/or used input device.
This will violate some abstract macOS "UX Best Practices", but will solve the problem.

So, what do you think?

mike

Post by mike » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:53 am

Small update on v1.2.0 - build 2085 has fix of the invalid panel height on macOS10.11 under some circumstances: https://github.com/mikekazakov/nc/issues/63
It will come through the auto-update system.

JayB

Post by JayB » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:32 am

Crash… already with the updated 1.2.0. Happened when just navigating around.
Attachments
NCcrash_20170312.txt.zip
(20.46 KiB) Downloaded 876 times

sasha

Post by sasha » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:19 pm

...and here's one of mine. Happened while browsing through folders, nothing special.
Attachments
nc_crash_segfault.txt.zip
(20.54 KiB) Downloaded 892 times

stgunholy

Post by stgunholy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi. Just recently updated to new version and found out that classic theme is no longer classic.
I was using your project since start and this update looks like bummer for me.
But I understand completely that it is hard to support totally different layouts when you have just notion of "themes"
Here we need to get "skins" and this in current state is a bit of overkill (even if it will solve all the complains about classic view)
So I really suggest at least to allow to configure following:
1) Border colour for column in panels
2) Border width / style (single line/double line) / colour for panel.

This should be way less job to do and it will allow us - users to come as close as possible to real "classic" view.
Hope you will take this into consideration :)

mike

Post by mike » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:18 am

Hi stgunholy!

Well, honestly a support of the Classic theme is a tough topic to discuss...
About theme tuning: it's already possible to change the grid/border color. Or you've meant something different?
As for width/style - it's more complicated, since themes have no right to change geometry of controls at the moment.

Could you BTW at least consider trying the Modern theme?
The reason I'm saying this is quite simple: no matter how somebody wants to combine OFM's ASCII Art with the native macOS UI, it's really impossible to achieve a decent level of integration of these orthogonal approaches.
I personally used file managers with ASCII Art interface for ~20 years and after switching to the Modern theme I can't say that I'm missing something.

stgunholy

Post by stgunholy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi!

I totally understand why it is hot topic :) So my suggestion was mostly about possible changes in current theming to allow people to get a bit closer to "warm lamp feeling".
What I meant by "Border colour for column in panels"

If you look at example here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o73akt8pm4ps8 ... 1.png?dl=0

the file highlighting/cursor is not covering side to side of the panel, by obvious reason that there are 3 columns, but this is not visible because there are not enough files :) So what I am suggesting is to allow people to choose color of "separator" between columns. this will fix 2 issues: 1. It will be easier to deal for old theme lovers, 2) Cursor won't look like it is hanging around. Here I tried to "show" what I am explaining:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms8lovm1o4p92 ... 0.png?dl=0

Modern theme will also benefit from such functionality IMO.

When it comes to my second suggestion - the only thing left that really causes butt-hurt for old theme lovers like me is the panel borders... allowing to specify like "margin: 5px; border: double-line 2px yellow" will once and for all fix all the issues :)

mike

Post by mike » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi stgunholy,

Ok, I've changed the logic of grid drawing a bit, now vertical line is drawn for a last column:
Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 20.47.23.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 20.47.23.png (41.99 KiB) Viewed 33660 times
I concur, it kinda looks neatly.
A color of this vertical line could be changed in Themes settings: File Panels->Brief Mode->Grid color.

As for thickness of various separators - it's not that easy.
Many of those lines are actually real UI controls with their own behaviour.
Thickness of a separator control is a system-wide constant and it's supposed to be the same across different apps.
Of course, it's possible to hack this property, but I honestly don't think such trickery might worth it.

stgunholy

Post by stgunholy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:04 pm

Told ya, it will be better!
Thank you for an effort. :)